Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I'm Back!


I'm back from South Africa! Our team arrived home this past Friday night, after approximately 30 hours of travel from Johannesberg to Amsterdam to Memphis, and then finally, to Dallas.

It was an incredible trip. It was more than incredible, actually. I wish I had the words to adequately describe it. Maybe in time I'll be able to articulate it, but for now, I'm still digesting and processing all I saw and experienced.

Unfortunately, internet service was very sporadic during the trip, so I wasn't able to log any updates. I did a lot of journaling, though, and I think the best way for me to share the trip with you is through my daily journal entries.

Before I get into the stories, I want to say how thankful I am for all of your support- the prayers, the donations, the emails, cards, the care you showed to Gary and the kids while I was gone- it was overwhelming and so very appreciated. I couldn't have gone on this trip without your help, and I'm eternally grateful. Thank you!! Gary and I feel very fortunate to have such great family and friends who so willingly share of their time and resources. I carried each of you with me on the trip and thought of you often.

I hope the stories and pictures I share convey how much this country and it's people touched my heart. I'd love to go back to South Africa again someday. I hope, if given the opportunity, YOU choose to go on a trip like this. It will change your perspective and your heart, and open your eyes to family you didn't even know you had.

Here is my journal entry from the last full day we were in South Africa. It summarizes the whole experience for me. More stories to come, but I thought this would be a good place to start!

March 14, 2012.....Family

Lord, thank you for teaching me about family. And helping me to see that I have a lot to learn. Before I left for South Africa, I felt you were wanting to increase my sense of family. For me to realize and see first hand that I have sisters, brothers, mothers and fathers across the Earth. You wanted me to see that we are more alike than different, and that we can all teach each other and learn from one another. I feel this way about the people of SA, the staff at Ten Thousand Homes, and my New Hope team. You've showed me that "family" first comes from being rooted in Your love- praying and communicating with You about everything, taking time to listen, and trusting that You created me exactly how You want me. You've showed me that the more I accept and embrace who I am without comparison, the more You can use me for Your good. I've learned that, as I celebrate my design, I can more readily see, appreciate, and celebrate the way You've designed others.

I've seen such a beautiful picture of Your image during this trip- each person on our team using their giftings to accomplish Your purposes, all wrapped in a strong sense of unity, love, and family. We encouraged, challenged, called forth, stood with, prayed for, cried with, and rejoiced...together. Vastly different personalities, backgrounds, and experiences- but the same heart of God.

During the church service we attended in the Mbonsweni community, I sensed You were saying, "You are not foreigners in a foreign land, you are family." And then, when we were with the orphans, young adults and volunteers in Dwaleni and Mbonsweni, I felt you saying, "You are mine and they are mine- treat them like family." And again, with the New Hope team and Ten Thousand Homes staff, I felt you were telling me, "These are My children. I want you to fill them up. Encourage, listen, hug, value, connect. Guard and protect My unity among them." I'm so thankful for Your words, Your goodness, and Your kindness. I'm in awe of how You love each person on this Earth with a love that never ends.

Thank You for this experience. Thank you for increasing my family, and showing me Your heart for the people of Africa. Help me to bring back this strong sense of family and love, and share it with others at home. Help me put relationships and people ahead of my to-do lists. Help me remember to pray daily for the kids, the youth,and the community volunteers in Dwaleni and Mbonsweni, the Ten Thousand Homes staff on the front lines who pour out their lives every day.

Help me to put love into action.

1 comment:

  1. It was so great getting to meet you and spend time with you on this trip. You were such an encouragement to me. :) You definitely loved well on this trip Karen.

    ReplyDelete