Sunday, March 25, 2012

Breaking Ground



Back on February 28th, I wrote about a family of 5 orphans: http://www.kngminer.blogspot.com/2012/02/not-forgotten.html Their parents were gone, and the eldest sister, Nelsisiwe, had assumed responsibility for caring for her siblings.

This story really touched my heart, as I could not imagine being 20 years old, with so much burden and responsibility...barely getting by with little food, and even less money. Living in a tiny, one-room house, all five kids cramming into one bed every night. 

I was encouraged to hear that Ten Thousand Homes (http://www.tenthousandhomes.org ) had come alongside Neli to help her. She would no longer have to bear this burden alone. Ten Thousand Homes would be building a new home for Neli and her family, and in the process, show her love, support, and hope.


Little did I know when I first blogged about this family, that I'd get the chance to see them and spend time with them during my trip. Our team was invited by the Ten Thousand Homes staff to attend the groundbreaking ceremony for Neli and her family. It was a beautiful and powerful scene, watching the TTH staff, community volunteers, neighbors, and our New Hope team surround this family to stand with them, pray for them, hug them, and begin work on their new home.










I got to meet 20 year old Nelsisiwe. She was shy, quiet, and sweet. She seemed overwhelmed by the attention and sheer number of people who had shown up.




I got to meet her 9 year old brother. I stood next to him for a long time, scratching his back the way Matthew likes me to scratch his back. Every few minutes I'd ask him, "Do you want me to keep scratching?" Every time I'd ask, he'd look up at me, smile, nod his head, and say, "Yes, more."




I watched as this sweet boy took a shovel and began working to break ground on the home that he would be responsible for protecting. Tears welled up in my eyes. No nine year old should have to be the MAN of the house.


This was a day that marked a turning point for this family.  They were no longer alone.  They were now known, seen, supported, and loved. 

This was also a day that marked a turning point for me.  The South African orphan crisis now had names, faces, and a personal story that I had seen and touched first-hand. 




I pray every day for Nelsisiwe and her siblings.  I also pray for the Ten Thousand Homes staff and volunteers who will work countless hours to build this home and build relationship with this sweet family.  It's so much more than a house.  It's a symbol of hope...a symbol of community...a reminder that each one of us counts and is worth it...a reminder that we are in this together...a picture of God's love.


(Thank you, Lindsey K, for the incredible pictures!)




 


No comments:

Post a Comment