Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Not Forgotten



I can't even imagine what it would be like to be 20 years old, and in charge of my 4 younger siblings. Our parents are gone, and all we have to live in is a small, windowless room with one queen-sized bed we all cram into each night. With no income, we rely on handouts from neighbors, barely getting by with basic needs from day-to-day. I wonder what that 20 year old goes through each day, what she thinks about, worries about, what she endures? Does she feel weary, hopeless, forgotten?






As I read the following email this morning from Ten Thousand Homes (http://www.tenthousandhomes.org/ ) I wondered how many more parentless families live like this every day in Africa. I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I read further about how the staff at TTH brought this sweet family love, hope, and resources. Not just a one-time handout, but tangible relationship, support, and help to better their lives.



I'm not sure how much my heart will be able to take what I'll see in South Africa. I have a feeling I'll see Noelle in each little girl, and Matthew in each little boy, and my heart will break for the youth and young adults who step up to be parents and providers WAY before their time.


I'm so encouraged by the work TTH is doing. Read below to see how they are bringing hope and a home to the family I described above:



Ten Thousand Homes staff members recently met five siblings in Dwaleni, ages 20, 17, 15, 9 and 2. They live in a small, windowless room and share one queen-sized bed. The children have no income and rely on whatever leftover food neighbors can spare. On our first visit to 20-year old Nelsisiwe’s family, we told her that God had not forgotten her. TTH staff members have been visiting this beautiful family regularly to show them that God responds to His children through His children. After only a few visits, bringing a week’s worth of groceries, and inviting local volunteers to intervene on behalf of this family, Nelsisiwe wiped away tears and said, “I am happy!” We are thrilled to announce that HOPE is already being built and construction for a new home will begin in March!

No comments:

Post a Comment