Monday, January 30, 2012

Team Meetings

From now until we leave, our mission team will meet together every Thursday to prepare for our trip. We'll be learning more about the culture and the people we'll be working with. We'll also spend time bonding with each other, praying with each other, and learning how to work as a team.

As far as mission trip teams go, we're a big group...we have approximately 20 people going. It's a great mix of different ages (from high schoolers to grandparents), life stages and perspectives. It's also a bit overwhelming at times for me personally, since I'm such an introvert.

Speaking of overwhelming, I had a moment Wednesday night when I just broke down and cried on Gary's shoulder. I was feeling overwhelmed and underqualified for everything going on in my life right now. It felt like too much to handle. I said something like, "I don't feel like I'm doing anything well right now. I just want to quit everything." As soon as the words left my mouth I knew how silly they were. Thankfully Gary is the level-headed one in our relationship...he listened, talked me down from the ledge, and told me everything would be okay. I shared with him that I was afraid of leaving him and the kids for two weeks, and how sad I was about the fact we'll only have one 3-4 minute phone call while I'm gone. Even though I was a blubbering mess, it felt good to get it all out. Sometimes just getting things out of my head and into the light brings more clarity, perspective, and peace.


Our team meeting last night was great. Our flights and dates for the trip were confirmed. We're flying out of Dallas on Saturday, March 3, with layovers in New York and Amsterdam, before arriving Sunday in Johannesberg. Then, we'll leave South Africa on Thursday, March 15 and arrive back home Friday, March 16.


We also spent time talking about the different projects we'll be involved with while we're there. We'll be volunteering at two different feeding programs in the communities of Dwaleni and Mbonsweni, preparing and serving food. We're going to spend time with the kids in these communities (approximately 600 kids show up for food and love at these feedings)...we're planning to hand out goody bags to ALL of them. We'll also work with and invest in the youth there. These are just a few of the things we'll be doing while we're there; I'm sure it's going to be busy, active, exhausting, emotionally draining, and FUN!!


Thanks to all of you for joining along with me on this adventure...for your overwhelming interest, support, prayers and love. I couldn't do it without you!

1 comment:

  1. I am standing with open arms praying for all of you, asking for His strength, love and "peace" while you prepare for this completely life changing experience. I love that you shared your fears and concerns so freely and especially how Gary was the rock you needed to remind you "everything would be okay". God has some amazing plans for you and He has so much to show you through His eyes. I can't wait to see what He shows you and how you'll share it with us. You are so ready for this journey and you will be such a lovely blessing to everyone that you will serve while you're there.

    Relax in knowing He will recharge you with approximately 600 different smiling eyes!

    ReplyDelete